Git Smart- Enjoy Git in Unity, SourceTree & GitHub Free Download
- Learn the key concepts of the Git source control system
- Install git on Windows, MacOS and Linux
- Install the slick visual tool SourceTree on Windows, MacOS and Linux
- Be aware of other visual tools including GitKracken and GitHub Desktop
- Use .gitignore files intelligently to track only what matters
- Create “feature branches” to allow you to explore new ideas safely
- “Push” your work to GitHub or BitBucket for backup & sharing
- Understand how to use the command line when necessary
- Understand more about how the tool you use really works by watching file changes
- Be prepared to collaborate on your project with others professionally
- Admin rights on your computer
- Basic computer skills including installing software
- Some coding experience enhances the experience, but isn’t necessary
Want to learn Git without falling asleep? You’re in the right place!
Learning version control can be tricky and boring, we’re here to make it easy and fun. Using game development as the example project, we’ll be showing step-by-step how to get into git (get it?).
By the end of the course you’ll have an indispensable tool, that will allow you to…
- Protect your valuable work using git version control.
- Explore creative options using Atlassian’s SourceTree & the terminal / command line.
- Backup efficiently to the Internet, specifically GitHub but GitLab and BitBucket are mentioned.
- Learn all the common version control workflows that you’ll need day-to-day.
- Lay the foundations for collaboration with others.
You won’t only be learning the science of version control, but the art too. For example you’ll learn common usage patterns that keep your live simple, and even how to setup your online portfolio to show your work in the best light.
Your instructor Ben Tristem is the founder of GameDev tv, and has taught 100,000s of students to code and use creative software from scratch, so you’re in good hands. No prior experience of version control, git, or coding required.
We’ll be covering Windows, however MacOS and Linux users can also follow along with a little modification.
Let’s dive in and get this mini super-power learnt in no time!
- Anyone specifically interested in learning Git
- Anyone interested in using “source control”, or “version control”
- Unity and other game developers who want to version their work
- Freelancers and creatives who want to learn a super-solid new tool