Introduction to Spatial Databases with PostGIS and QGIS 3.0. Free Tutorial Download
- You should be familiar with GIS concepts and be willing to learn QGIS. My course QGIS 3.0 for GIS professionals will provide all the background that is necessary but it is not a formal pre-requisite.
This course is intended to provide an introduction to spatial databases in general and PostGIS in particular to GIS professionals who are interested in expanding their skillset to multi-user enterprise level spatial databases. This course uses the latest (as of 2/18) versions of PostgreSQL (10.1), PostGIS (2.4), and QGIS (3.0). I believe it is the most current and thorough course on spatial databases available today. You will learn
- What a spatial database is and why you would want to use one.
- What SQL is, why you would want to use it, and how it can be applied to geospatial concepts.
- How to install PostGIS locally for development purposes and how to access a production version via a network or the internet.
- How to load your spatial data into PostGIS and access it from a variety of clients, especially QGIS
- The basics of SQL for both spatial and non-spatial queries
- How to validate data and control user access with the tools built-in to PostGIS
- Optimizing your queries for the best performance
- How to work with raster data in PostGIS
- The basics of programming custom functions with PL/pgSQL
- The basics of database administration to keep your database operating smoothly
- GIS professionals who are interested in expanding their GIS skillsets into multi-user enterprise level spatial databases.