What you’ll learn
Understand how automation works in Jira – types of automations, allowances, permissions etc
Be able to set up automation rules to automate mundane tasks in Jira
Get ideas (through examples) of where the automation tool can be taken advantage of
Familiarity and basic knowledge of JIRA
If you’re looking to follow along, you would need access to a JIRA Standard Cloud instance (free trial is available )
This course teaches you how to use the invaluable automation tool in Jira.
This tool (that was previously a paid add-on) has proven to be so popular and useful, that it was taken over by Atlassian themselves, and is now included with all Cloud subscription. It is still an add-on available on Jira Server though.
Automation for Jira allows you to set up Triggers, Conditions and Actions, where you can listen for a particular event in Jira to trigger an automation rule, then check certain conditions and execute some actions accordingly. We will be learning this tool through real-world examples, some of which include:
- Send notifications (email/slack) when an issue is created with a particular priority, or when the priority is set to a specific value, or simply whenever the priority is upgraded
- Automatically distribute workload to the development team by auto-assigning issues and keeping balance in workload between all team members
- Embed issue data in the automation logic and include in notifications
- Perform recurring tasks automatically and on a scheduled basis (like creating recurring issues)
- Track how many times an issue goes to a particular status
- Post a list of filter results to Slack at the same time every weekday
- Bulk update issues using smart logic
- and many more….
STRUCTURE OF THE COURSE:
- Introduction and background – Introduce the tool, talk about background and other logistics and get our first look at an automation rule
- Basic Rules – We’ll start with the basics and introduce you to many highly useful features and capabilities such as smart values, branch rules, and take a look at certain triggers and actions
- Advanced Rules – Now you’ve got the hang of it so here we’ll just see more examples, many of which use more advanced triggers/actions and general automation logic.
Hope to see you inside 🙂
Who this course is for:
- Anyone looking to learn and use Jira more effectively
- Any existing Jira administrators looking to learn and take advantage of the automation functionality
- Any existing Jira project administrators looking to utilize automations in their projects
I have been a Product Manager at a startup for several years. With that, I’ve become passionate about tools that improve the work space and help startups, or any company for that matter move faster. It only made sense to share my experience, successes, even failures and general knowledge that I’ve gained cause I know that sharing and teaching only results in even more learning. So here’s to productivity and learning.