What you’ll learn
How to calculate torque, center of mass, and solve equilibrium problems
Basic understanding of Forces, Vectors, and Newton’s Laws
This course covers torque, center of mass, rigid bodies in equilibrium, and the stability of objects. The course is a mix of lectures and problem solving tutorials. Students will learn to how to calculate torque, how to evaluate the center of mass of systems of particles and objects with uniform density. I will teach you how to approach problems and help you develop your own problem solving strategies to become a better problem solver.
Part 1: Torque
- What is torque?
- Understand how torque is different from forces
- Calculate torque using 3 different techniques (standard methods, force components, and moment arms)
- Several example problems to practice
Part 2: Center of Mass
- Learn how to find the center of mass of symmetric objects
- Calculating the center of mass of systems of particles in 1D, 2D, and 3D.
- Practice problems
Part 3: Static Equilibrium
- Conditions for Static Equilibrium
- Problem solving strategies
- Picking the right pivot location
- Several example problems to practice the problem solving techniques.
Part 4: Various Problem Section
- Practice solving Torque and center of mass problems and compare your answers to those of Physics Ninja
- Section contains conceptual questions and algebraic questions ranging from easy to very challenging.
If at any point you don’t understand something in my videos please feel free to reach out. I’m always willing to help someone learn. Physics Ninja always has your back!
Dr. E., Physics Ninja and Expert Physics and Math Teacher.
Who this course is for:
- AP physics students, first year undergraduate physics, MCAT physics prep and anyone
- Students studying for physics exams