No previous experience needed, just an interest in learning pixel art.
No drawing tablet needed – mouse and keyboard is all you need.
Learn the fundamentals of pixel art for video games quickly, without needing to take a huge course.
Using the highly popular LibreSprite / Aseprite, you’ll create dozens of pixel art assets throughout this course, including in-game objects, user interface, icons, items and more. By the end of the course you’ll have created your own game scene complete with game world objects, simple characters, basic animations and HUD overlay.
The course will carefully teach you the fundamentals of being a pixel artist such as creating shading, highlights, shadows, lines, dithering and more of the day-to-day techniques used by Pixel artists. Your instructor, Reece, will provide you with many tips and tricks to improve quickly and be efficient with your asset creation process.
What you’ll learn in this course:
- Create a complete game scene including world objects (furniture, etc), simple characters, HUD overlay, icons and more.
- Learn the fundamentals skills and techniques such as shading, shadows, highlights, lines, dithering, perspective and colour theory.
- Practice in a safe and friendly way to start to develop your own pixel art style.
- Learn how to export your creations so that you can sell them or use them in your own games.
- Complete dozens of challenges to come up with your own interesting creations.
This course is perfect for beginners who are new to pixel art, anyone wanting to improve their 2D game art skills and folks who value their time and want quick wins!
The course uses LibreSprite which is nearly identical to Aseprite. LibreSprite is coming soon to Mac but currently only available on PC. You can still absolutely follow the course if you’re using a Mac and we give you some good alternatives to do so (for example using the free or paid versions of Aseprite).
All students have access to the Q&A where our Instructors, Teaching Assistants and Community are ready to help answer your questions and cheer on your success.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in pixel art or becoming a video game artist.
What you’ll learn
Create high quality game-ready pixel art assets
Master the pixel art fundamentals of shading, color, lines, dithering, shadows and more.
Create a game scene with game assets that can easily be exported for use in a game engine.
Learn how to quickly and easily create animations using multiple frames and the onion skin tool.
Easily create user interface and HUD assets that can be used immediately in video games.
Learn how to use outlines to create different types of assets – UI elements, in-game pickups, in-game objects.
Quickly become competent using the very popular LibreSprite / Asesprite software.