This course is compatible with both Tableau Public (free) or Tableau Desktop (paid)
Prior experience with Tableau Desktop is strongly encouraged
If you’re looking to improve the speed and performance of your Tableau Desktop dashboards, this is the course for you.
In this course, you’ll be playing the role of a Business Intelligence Analyst at Bike Maven, a bicycle sharing company based in New York City. You’ve inherited a Tableau dashboard containing 3 years of accident data, but it’s so slow that it’s practically unusable. Your mission? Use the optimization tools and techniques covered in this course to make the dashboard fast, scalable, and user-friendly.
We’ll start by reviewing Tableau’s performance evaluation tools, then dive into four key optimization areas, including data design, filters, calculations, and layouts & visuals:
- Course Project & Setup
- Introduce the course project, set expectations, and install Tableau Desktop
- Performance Evaluation
- Review performance expectations, internal vs. external factors, and performance recording tools
- Data Design
- Optimize data models, define aggregations, and leverage Tableau extracts
- Filter Optimization
- Apply workbook & sheet-level filters, choose efficient filter types, and utilize filter alternatives
- Calculation Optimization
- Choose best-fit functions, use efficient syntax, and limit complex blends
- Layout & Visuals
- Create performant visuals, limit mark counts, and optimize dashboard sizing
- Tableau Server & Online
- Review performance factors outside of local Tableau Desktop dashboards
During the course you’ll learn how to record and interpret query performance, understand exactly how Tableau processing and rendering actually works, and review common event types and their impact on speed and usability. We’ll discuss the pros and cons of various data modeling techniques and connection types, share best practices for filter optimization, introduce pro tips to help you write efficient calculations, and review key data visualization and dashboard design principles.
We’ll practice applying these techniques to our Bike Maven dashboard, and track our performance improvements each step of the way. Whether you’re a casual user, aspiring analyst, or data science professional, this course will give you the tools you need to become an absolute Tableau ROCKSTAR — guaranteed!
Join today and get immediate, lifetime access to the following:
- 3+ hours of high-quality video
- 50+ page Tableau Speed & Performance ebook
- Downloadable Tableau project files & solutions
- Homework assignments & quizzes
- Course Q&A forum
- 30-day money-back guarantee
See you in the course!
-Dustin (Featured Tableau Author & Lead Tableau Instructor, Maven Analytics)
Looking for our full business intelligence stack? Search for “Maven Analytics“ to browse our full course library, including Excel, Power BI, MySQL, and Tableau courses!
See why Maven Analytics courses are among the TOP-RATED the BEST-SELLING courses on Udemy:
“Some of the BEST courses I’ve ever taken. I’ve studied several programming languages, Excel, VBA and web dev, and Maven is among the very best I’ve seen!” Russ C.
“This is my fourth course from Maven Analytics and my fourth 5-star review, so I’m running out of things to say. I wish Maven was in my life earlier!” Tatsiana M.
“Excellent from start to finish. I picked up a bunch of techniques that will be useful in the workplace, from new chart templates to some very cool advanced visualizations. I loved all of it!” Robert C.
“Maven Analytics should become the new standard for all courses taught on Udemy!” Jonah M.
Who this course is for:
- Analysts or BI professionals looking to build fast, high-performance dashboards
- Tableau Desktop users who want to optimize the speed and performance of existing workbooks
- Anyone looking to pursue a career in data analysis, data visualization or business intelligence
- Students who want a comprehensive, engaging, and highly interactive approach to training
What you’ll learn
Build fast, scalable, and user-friendly dashboards with Tableau Desktop
Optimize data sources, calculations, filters and visuals to create high-performance workbooks
Master the same tools & techniques used by business intelligence analysts and data scientists
Showcase your Tableau Desktop skills with unique, hands-on course projects
Learn from a best-selling instructor and award-winning Tableau developer